Biowaste treatment sector - Environmental Performance 2014
REA was presented recently with the latest information relating to the biowaste treatment sector's environmental performance for 2014.
Full details HERE.
In summary we are getting better in relation to our environmental compliance but there can be no room for complacency. Below are the highlights of the report.
Facts of interest:
1. Number of biowaste treatment permits in 2014 is up from 608 to 651
2. 6% of these permits fell into D-F compliance scores DOWN from 8% in the previous year
3. 1043 breaches occurred at 285 sites
4. ONLY 10% of breaches related to odour, majority were in respect to poor on-site monitoring.
5. Biowaste treatment had 5.7 category 1 or 2 pollution incidents/100 permits DOWN from 8.1 the previous year, still the worst performing sector that is regulated by the EA.
6. The above equated to 37 incidents on 13 individual sites. 7 sites had multiple incidents.
7. 33 of the 37 incidents related to odour, 3 fire and 1 a digestate tank failure.
Become a Member!
Join the Organics Recycling Group at the Renewable Energy Association by clicking below.